Many cooks don’t provide very much information for the novice cook. It seems quite cruel to me- to offer up a great dish in an enticing photo, but to leave out steps that are crucial to its making. But really, what happens in recipes is a cooking-community-shorthand. Recipe writers forget that not everyone knows when a dish is ‘seasoned’ properly or how to ‘cut butter into flour’. If you want to start from basics, this section is for you.
All the basic skills
- Cooking Aromatics
- Fresh Cheeses
- Preparing meats
- Preparing Vegetables
- 11 Secrets to Amazing Marmalades
- 11 Steps to Making the Best Homemade Jam (new and improved version!)
- How to sterlize bottles for preserving (bottles that won’t be vacuum sealed in a hot water bath)
- List of foods from most acidic to alkaline
- Preserving fruits and vegetables in bottles, lesson 1: how does preserving work?
- Skye Gyngell’s Secret to Sensuous Seasoning
- Stock Making
- Using Soy Beans